Monday, June 12, 2006

Oh The Humanity!

I love soccer.  I loved it when I was a kid and played it, I loved it in Hungary when I lived there, and I loved coaching it as an adult.

Today’s 3-0 defeat to the Czech Republic is the worst thing I have seen on the pitch from the USA.  Ever.

Yes, 1990 was bad.  I laughed at us over that (I was just back from Hungary and knew what good football looked like – and we didn’t play any).  1998 was really bad in France, but we had a bad coach and an old, divided team, so that was about what I was expecting.  Today, though, we have an experienced, solid team that played quite simply the worst match in the entire World Cup.

I’m also watching the Ghana/Italy match, and it is absolutely possible that we will lose to everyone we play this year.

Markets are flat, waiting for some sort of direction from the Fed.  Why not?  Nothing else seems to make any difference.  The economy appears to be good, most of the numbers look good, but there’s this sense of malaise that just doesn’t seem to go away.  I’m afraid it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

Meantime, the 30-year is hanging out at 6.625% and the 15-year is at 6.375%, with the ARMs back in play, especially the 7-year ARM, which is at 6.5%.

2 Comments:

Blogger beanjah said...

US Soccer was progressing just fine until this abismal display of football. We might have set ourselves back a few years with that performance. I'm not sure I saw any of our players even break a sweat during that game. Hopefully in our 4 days off Mr. Arenas can get our boys motivated. Unfortunately for us, both Italy and Ghana look to be on top of their game.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Cj said...

They do indeed. In fact, until this really crappy performance by France, I haven't seen anyone look less threatening than the US in the entire tournament.

The US has never had a top-flight striker and our offense has languished because of it. We have only on very rare occasions ever been able to do what the Czechs did, and they have at least three players in their attack better than anyone I've seen in blue.

But I think we'll do better. We could not possibly do worse.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home