Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Religion and Politics

Aren't those supposed to be the two things you never talk about with friends? I must be different (okay, I know), because I rarely talk about much else, unless it's sports. There was a post this morning by Jane Galt on her excellent blog Asymmetrical Information, talking about a question asked by a BBC reporter, to wit: can a candidate win high public office in the US without being a Christian?

Well, of course this ignores Joe Lieberman, who is currently Senator from Connecticut, was once candidate for Vice President, and is a Jew. Is he the exception that proves the rule, though? Personally, I don't think so. I posted the following:

I was the National Field Director for Ambassador Alan Keyes' run for the GOP nomination in 2000, and was heavily involved in the primary campaign in South Carolina (we finished third). I am also a white Mormon from Utah (who is not sold on Mitt Romney, just in the interest of full disclosure). The vast majority of the campaign staff in SC was evangelical Christian and white. Not one person in the month I spent there said anything about Keyes's skin color except Keyes himself. I did not, however, reveal my religion to anyone, as it was judged by the campaign itself to be much more likely to be a problem in the South that I was a Mormon than that Keyes was black. I found this (later) to be absolutely spot-on accurate.

Fundamentalist Christians do not make up nearly as large a part of the voting populace as is commonly represented on CNN. I think an open atheist could absolutely get elected (we elect open homosexuals to the state legislature here in Utah, and I can promise you after someone declares himself gay here nobody cares much what church he goes to) as long as that atheist had a political philosophy that endeared him - or her - to a majority of the population.

My experience tells me that a Presidential candidate that really went to church every Sunday and believed that the things he professed there had useful things to tell him about his politics would have a harder time getting elected than one that never went to church except for funerals. IMO it is being TOO religious that causes political problems, rather more than not being religious enough. Most people are looking for a candidate that seems like them, and most people are just not that religious. They want a President that prays to God, then does whatever his brain tells him to do, because that's what they do. One that received angelic visitations would not do well at the ballot box, folks.

And that's really the bottom line. Of course an atheist could get elected, assuming the competition were sufficiently unattractive. If Giuliani gets the nomination, and the alternative is Hillary Clinton, I guarantee an atheist - if Rudy really is one - has a decent shot. If the Democrats nominated an open atheist (and it absolutely could happen), and the alternative were, say, Bill Frist (also a possibility, though a longshot), the atheist would probably win in a walk.


Theron Harmon, a Friend of the Group, is a big supporter of Mitt Romney, but I'm not sold. It's nice, of course, for a religious faith that still suffers from an inferiority complex (as Mormonism does) to have a practicing member as such a prominent candidate, but my beef with Romney is political and philosophical, not religious. His religion (and ironically, Senate Minority Leader Democrat Harry Reid is also a Mormon) is almost totally unimportant to me. What I mostly care about is the man's political philosophy - if he has one - and he could be an atheist and that wouldn't matter to me any more than if he were black.

What about you?

P.S. Remember, there's more blogging over at Mortgage Blogger.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When those in the Southern Baptist Church still refer to the LDS church as a "cult", they effectively disqualify Mitt as a viable candidate, regardless of his level of fidelity or devotion. Therein lays the death nail for the Republican Party this year and in 08. We have pandered to the extreme right too long and have been unwilling to progressively adapt to new ideas and perspectives. The stem cell argument is a prime example.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Cj said...

Stoney, welcome to the blog. I assume you got here from Asymmetrical Information, but no matter, you're welcome all the same.

However.

We're talking about electoral possibilities, not specifically religious intolerance, and even though you seem to think the one greatly impacts the other, I disagree with you rather strongly. Southern Baptists represent a measurable fraction of the electorate, but they're neither a solid bloc nor so stupid to vote against their political beliefs just because the candidate happens to be a Mormon. Mitt has been getting very good response in the South, not that I'm entirely sure he deserves it. Southern Baptists, you can take this to the bank, would much rather have someone that is at least serious about religion, like Mitt Romney, than someone that is patently and obviously not, like pretty much all the leading Democrats. So I disagree with you about the electoral prospects of Romney on those grounds without denying that his overall prospects are not that good.

So let's talk about stem cell research and "pandering to the extreme right". Being a member of the right, I can tell you that I feel absolutely, completely, and totally un-pandered-to. I don't believe that Congress did even three things this term that I was happy about, from rejecting any attempt to reform Social Security to ratcheting up federal control over education to expanding the federal budget by absolutely obscene amounts. Even on social issues I don't think the government moved an inch in the direction religious conservatives would like to see. I don't know what commentary you're listening to, but the noise about the GOP not being worth going to the polls for is LOUDER on the right than on the left. I live in Utah, and you can take it from me, the people who are most unhappy here are the conservatives, not the liberals.

Specifically, let's deal with stem cells, since you brought it up. There are two major points here that need dealing with. The first is that the GOP position on stem cells is so hopelessly distorted that it's impossible to get real debate on the subject. Let me therefore enumerate it: Republicans support all forms of stem cell research, cord blood, adult stem cells, and even embryonic stem cells, although this last we support only where the embryo is not destroyed by the process. Additionally, contrary to published reports, Bush has NOT banned stem cell research anywhere; what he has done is refused to commit tax dollars to the research. Since I find absolutely no Constitutional provision for Congress to authorize any tax money for ANY medical research, I'm not unhappy about that. Democrats want federal funding of destructive embryonic stem cell research (and ONLY destructive research, according to Maryland's Senate candidate). Democrats, as far as I can tell, want federal funding of EVERYTHING, so that's not a position so much a symptom of a larger disease. The debate here ought therefore to be a "role of government" debate and not a "you hate sick people" one, but it's pretty hard to argue with the hysterical.

The second point is far more obscure but in the end a great deal more important. There are, within the political scene, those that believe certain things are true, and that those truths are not subject to "new ideas and perspectives". Killing someone for the purpose of performing research with the cells of the corpse falls under the heading of "wrong", as decreed by a Power far more compelling than the electorate. That you apparently believe an embryo is not a person is not at issue, because I do. And if I do so believe, I cannot support embryonic destruction for the purpose of medical research regardless of the political consequences. What you are asking Republicans to do, it sounds like, is abandon what few philosophical moorings we have left in pursuit of votes. This is not only bad politics, it's also stupid. More importantly, however, it's WRONG, and there are those - vanishingly few, I'm afraid, but we're still out here - that believe that there are things that are right and things that are wrong, and if following the right course means we lose elections, then I can tell you nobody is happier not having to go to interminable stultifying legislative meetings than I am. I wasn't sent here by God to get elected to political office, and I bet He won't be too upset with me if I never am. He will be unhappy, however, if I turn my back on what is right, what I KNOW is right, in order to win the praise of a few people who have "new perspectives".

Even if I knew that sacrificing a few dozen embryos would save a million people from cancer - and I do NOT know this, nor does anyone else - I would still not support doing it. I wouldn't support it if my entire family had cancer. This is not a personal thing, it's a principle thing, and I am far, far more concerned to be a man of principle than a man of the people. There are a few others like me, even in national politics.

I even think we can occasionally win.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Embryonic Destruction Stem Cell Research.

Embryo killing is the immutable fact. Is not lethal research on embryos lethal? Embryonic stem cell research wants to destroy defenseless life. It must be called what it truly is:

Please Speak on Behalf of the Voiceless

http://www.embryonicdestruction.com

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Bean, Jr. said...

Mr. Jones,
Who are you supporting now in the 08 primaries?

Jeffrey

2:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm supporting Fred Thompson. Yes, I know he quit. But none of the other candidates of any persuasion are the sort that I can honestly say I'd like to see as President of the USA.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home