Monday, October 06, 2008

So, Jones, How Bad is It?

This economy thing, I mean.  The answer is, pretty bad, I think.  A tumbling stock market is very bad for nearly everyone, because not only does it remove several hundred billion in wealth from people's 401(k) and IRA accounts, it takes out huge amounts of bank reserves and available expansion capital.  And it hurts confidence in the economy, which causes people to hoard, which takes money out of circulation and essentially makes it impossible to ameliorate the conditions above.

The government is pretty close to powerless against the market, and always has been.  Further evidence of this this morning.

My advice remains: focus on the stuff you can control, work hard, be kind to children and strangers, call your mother and tell her you're fine.  Put some seeds in a small pot in a sunny window and keep them damp.  Do real things that have lasting value.  Pray.  Pray very, very hard.  Exercise.  Breathe deeply.  Sing.

You should do this stuff even when things are well.  When, as right now, they are decidedly not well, you should do them even harder.  I watched closely the LDS General Conference this weekend, and I am persuaded that this might, indeed, be the big one right now, instead of a few years from now. 

Scott, you have been warned.  But I'd still check with Mom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison Wonderland said...

That's interesting because I really didn't get that. Is it bad that I trust you a lot more than I trust me? We'll have to check with mom, there's no way she could miss it.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's why I say this: ordinarily there is a great deal of instruction about getting out of debt and getting our affairs in order. This time, not one word, except to say (very briefly) that we've been warned for a generation. Then we get a great deal of "hold fast" and "preach the gospel" and "pray harder" and "read your scriptures".

The message I get from this: it's too late. If you're not ready temporally, you're not going to be ready. It's not too late to repent, though, so go to work on that.

In Priesthood Session, President Monson pointedly told the priesthood leadership to make sure none of the brethren went hungry, or homeless, or lacked clothing. Then he went on with his talk.

I appreciated it.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home